Dr Richard Bulkeley
TITLE/PROFESSIONAL POST: Clinical Psychologist (Dr)
PROFESSIONAL DISCIPLINE: Psychologist
- Chartered Clinical Psychologist. (Postgraduate training in Psychology; Tavistock Centre, 1971).
- British Psychological Society – Membership No. 2083.
- Associate Fellow of British Psychological Society.
- Health Professions Council – PYLO 3104
- Clinical Psychology
- Applied Behaviour Analysis
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, including psycho-education, cognitive restructuring, relaxation therapy, graded exposure and homework
- Social Skill Development
HIGHER OR SPECIALIST DEGREE OR DIPLOMA: PhD
AREAS OF PARTICULAR MEDICOLEGAL EXPERTISE
- Assessment and treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (all ages).
- Assessing emotional trauma resulting from accidental injury (all ages).
- Interviewing children/offenders.
- Evaluation of family where abuse occurred.
- Risk Assessment.
- Effects of child sexual abuse.
- Assessment of development and learning disabilities.
- Contact issues for children post separation/divorce of parents.
- Assessment of children and adults for possible diagnosis of Asperger’s Syndrome. (recent specialist training undertaken in Cambridge, 2010).
- Assessment of sexually abusive or sexually vulnerable children and young people.
- Clinical Negligence (attended specialised training: Professional Solutions, June 2012).
- High Value cases.
- Assessment of contested asylum cases.
RELEVANT POSITIONS HELD AND HOW LONG:
Current: Independent Practice
Clinical Psychologist (1979 – 2006)
(CAMHS; NHS – Cambridge and Peterborough Foundation Trust)
Educational Psychologist - 1971 – 79
- To provide comprehensive psychological assessments and therapy.
- To carry out teaching research and audit.
- To provide clinical leadership in psychology.
Number of cases seen for assessment: 2500 (all ages).
Number of cases seen for treatment: 1500 (all ages).
Over Period: 1971 – present.
Number of cases seen for assessment: 500 (including 100 adult cases seen for post-accident psychological review).
Over period: 1985 – present.
(recent specialist training in medico-legal report-writing, Professional Solutions, 2012)
EXPERIENCE IN CIVIL CASES:
- Division of Clinical Psychology (British Psychological Society).
- British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy.
- Association for Family Therapy and Systemic Practice.
- Through Structural Intervention to Attitude Change. Division of Clinical Psychology Newsletter (1984).
- From Out of Nowhere. Reforming Parapsychology: Changes, 3.3 (1985).
- Social Skills Training with Young Adolescents. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 19, 5, (1990).
- Social Skills Training with Young Adolescents: Individual Approaches in a School Setting. Journal of Adolescence, 17, (1994).
- Managing litigation arising in clinical work with children and families. British Psychological Society publication (2000).
- Sample norms for the Revised Children’s Manifest Anxiety Scale in the UK. Child Psychology and Psychiatry Review, 6, 3 (2001).
- Handbook for Social Skill Development with Children and Adolescents: From Research to Practice. Independently Published, (2018) Read more about the book here.
AREAS OF SPECIALIST EXPERIENCE (2018)
- Observation, Assessment, Diagnosis and Therapy with children, young people and adults on the autistic spectrum.
- Therapy with children and adults suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Social Skill Development with children, young people and adults.
- Social Skill Development with children and young people with Learning Disabilities.
- Social Skill Development with children and young people with emotional and behavioural difficulties.
- Attendance at Special Educational Tribunals.
- Psychological consultancy to organisations.